Friday, April 04, 2008

Late Evening Horse Pasture


One evening last week I wandered down to the lower pasture just about dusk to see what was up. The current residents of this pasture are two geldings in their early 20's and a yearling colt and filly. I found them at the very bottom of the pasture. The two youngsters and my horse, squirt, were grazing together. Badger was at the very bottom grazing by himself. I caught him here rolling to get the early spring mosquitos off.
Junior, the colt noticed that I was on the fence and came over to see what I was doing. The filly was close by but did not come over. Squirt rarely comes to the fence. He stayed and grazed on the fresh greens. Squirt and Badger have been in this lower pasture for about a year now. One of these days I am going to have to bring my tack to the ranch and see if I can catch Squirt and ride. After a bit the mosquitoes got too bad so everyone decided to head back up the hill, get a drink, and spend the night in upper part of the pasture where the mosquitoes were not quite so bad.

No comments: