Monday, August 27, 2007

Sale Day - How to fix a bad background


Today was the first day of a two day Fasig-Tipton Summer Yearling Sale in Grand Prairie, Texas. Photographing horses in the middle of a bright August afternoon is quite challenging. The stable areas at race tracks are not known for park-like landscaping. Weeds, straw bins, cars, unattractive barn sides, weeds, and people with horses can make a nice background difficult to find. The sun direction also dictates in which direction I must shoot. I look for my shadow and it points to where to set up the horse. After I return home I use photoshop to remove all unwanted background clutter. As you can see in the before (above) and after (bottom) photos, I have taken the folks that were leading their horse to the sale barn, out of the image so that I have a clean photo of this Trust N Luck Filly consigned by 4M Ranch.
I never change the conformation or appearance of the horse in any way.

No comments: