Friday, January 30, 2009

Thursday Night at the DMA

  Thursday nights at the DMA part of my weekly routine. There is always Jazz in the Atrium featuring a different musical group each week. After coffee I make a quick tour to find any changes. The American Galleries 20th Century most recently underwent a reinstallation, with some paintings being put on vacation and others changing location.
  At 7 pm I go to the weekly sketching in the galleries. This past week was the 5th Thursday of the week and we participated in a new program, we "sketched" in 3d creating a sculpture in the Studio at the Center for the Creative Connections.


  A few weeks ago after hearing of Andrew Wyeths death I went to the Dallas Museum of Art to see the egg tempera painting That Gentleman. The painting had been moved across to the opposite wall and next to it, a preparatory watercolor. I returned last week to find that they had been temporarily had been removed, but found them reinstalled when I was at the Museum last night. This is one of my favorite ways to see paintings exhibited. I like to see how the artist goes from study to completed painting, and to see them exhibited side by side is an added plus. You may read more about this exhibition in this Art & Seek blog article. I like to visit this painting each time I visit the museum. Egg tempera is my favorite of the painting media.

No comments: