Friday, September 28, 2007

Old Power Plant

This evening I visited the old power plant and fish hatchery at White Rock Lake in Dallas. I was taking photos on the east shore and looked over and the sun was pretty much blocking my view of the plant, so I got back in the car and went to the West Shore. When I was in the Arts Magnet during my last year in high school our teacher used to take us here for drawing. The view above is from the spillway. The bottom two photos are of the fish hatchery building.
The smoke stack is one of the most interesting features. This stack has been piercing the sky for about 3/4 of a century, unused.
This nearly one hundred year old power plant is now the home of a Dallas Water Utility Service Center; however, water has not been drawn from this lake since the drought of the 50's. When I last visited this plant in the mid 70's it was idle and the powerplant building was in


about the same shape as the Fish Hatchery building shown below. I walked around the entire building, photographing broken windows, bricked in doors and old brick walls and cement steps.

No comments: