Friday, September 07, 2007

Sketchbook: Asian Collection

This week our sketching class went to the Asian Galleries. Although this is not my favorite part of the museum, I decided to stick it out and try some different things. Our assignment was to draw objects as opposed to paintings. I chose a statue of the torso of a Hindu god earing a Dhot on tinted paper using dark graphite and white prismacolor pencil for the highlights. My goal was to describe the form and texture as best I could. I worked on both the intended forms and those resulting from many centuries of wear.



Next I moved into the main gallery and found this stature of a Hindu god in the lotus position. I had read the day before in American Artist Drawing Magazine about an Artist who draws in graphite on black paper so that the graphite becomes the light part of the drawing due to reflectivity. Seeing this black statue and having some black paper I decided to give it a try.

No comments: